Lite Cheesy Bites
I love cheese sticks but let’s get real, they’re pretty bad for us with all those processed foods and deep frying so I was on a mission to make a lite version recipe, and surprisingly, even with all the changes, they tasted exactly the same as the fatty version. The thing about fried food is that you can have it every once in a while as long as you use a good quality olive oil or even sunflower oil which is my other favorite oil. These are the only two oils you will find in my kitchen.
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese (cut into cubes)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I made mine with whole wheat bread)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- In a 9-inch skillet add about enough oil for frying (about 1 inch).
- In a small bowl add egg whites and milk, mix well. In another small bowl add breadcrumbs, flour and seasoning, mix well.
- Carefully place the cheese into egg mixture, then into flour, into egg again and into flour again then place into pan. Do this repeatedly until all cheese is coated. Cook on each side until golden. Drain on a paper towel and serve with marinara sauce.